Saturday, April 14, 2012

The piece that i choose to write about was Max Ernst's "At the first clear word" i really  admire his ability to pick a good composition when you first look at this painting your eyes go to the hand imdiately then you follow the ball on the string all the way to the green (bug?) on the left side then you follow the top of the wall over to the plant and go back down to the hand. Colorwise its pretty cool today the fade of the blue sky is done seamlessly and the dark orange stands out great as well as the blues in the window and the mysterious hand. Another reason why i like this painiting is it honestly makes absolutely no sense to me i love how the hand is coming from nowhere and you should be able to see the rest of the persons body but you cant. and what is that green thing to the left? its too big to be a bug right? the painting makes me feel like something is about to happen but i have no idea what.

5 comments:

  1. This piece by Max Ernst does interest me quite a bit. As in this is a piece of art that seems like it is full of questions. The ball attached to the string that is attached to the bug almost seems like a chained reaction trap. The position that the fingers are in that are holding the ball seems very uncomfortable. It looks like an unnatural position. We don't where the rest of the person is. The berries growing from the asparagus looking trees throw me off because they look just like the ball so maybe the ball is really a berry that the hand is picking which is attached to the bug. Which the bug could be based off of a stick bug because it looks highly similar. Maybe the stick bug is symbolism for the sticks that are not shown holding the berries on the two trees. The painting looks very flat but is works because it utilizes an effective complementary color scheme of orange and blue with the sky and the wall. Overall I like the painting but it is definitely not one of my favorite paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing on the left is a stick bug, they can get huge. This painting is just creepy. The thing that just creeps me out is that hand. It cant be possible to do that with your fingers. Compositionally, I cant find one. Everything here is placed in random spots. My eye gets stuck between the hand and the two trees because they contrast with their surroundings. Im glad you chose this painting because its just got my mind going. I am trying to make some sense of it. I agree with Cwoodsman^ about the berry part, that makes sense. I think the setting is in a garden and the wall goes through it. Maybe they are playing a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely a unique choice. I agree with Hannah about getting stuck in the composition but I do like the color choices. The thing I like best is the way the plant becomes a part of the wall seamlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this painting is creepy, i mean whats the deal with the hand and the fingers crossing like that, but this piece doesn't let my eye really shift around the piece it just stays stuck on the hand then look some where elese then back to the hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The composition and the colors to me are the best part about this piece. Thinking from a design perspective the way the red moves you eyes around and brings you back to the main focus of the piece is very clever on Max Ernst's part :)

    ReplyDelete